I had my first-ever book-signing this past Wednesday, for my book Touching the Hem.
It was so great to meet some new friends (and see some old friends), hear some new stories of God’s goodness, and be able to share more of my story with a few people. And it was super exciting to see my book advertised in posters, and hear it announced to a huge audience! It made it feel all official-like.
While I enjoyed the time thoroughly, I made a few observations about what to do — or not do — at a book-signing. There were a few people who came by, who admitted that they’d never asked anyone to sign a book before. And then I thought…
Why not share a few tips from an author’s perspective?
So here’s 5 ways to help you get the most out of the next book-signing you attend:
1. We love being able to address a book personally — so feel free to share your name when you ask us to sign!
2. It’s fun to know why you’re interested in the book — does it strike a personal chord? is it for a friend who’s dealing with the same issue? is it for further study on a particular topic? Feel free to share a little of your story when you come by!
3. It’s perfectly okay to ask the author to share the book in their own words, or to explain the background behind the book. After all, we’re putting our story “out there” for your benefit — most of us would love to talk more about it!
4. On the other hand, don’t try to start a non-book-related conversation or pull the author away from their table. We are trying to stay focused for potential readers — schedule a time to talk after the book-signing, if it’s important.
5. Finally, allow the author time to grab a sip of water, say hi to a personal friend (briefly), or just take a breather. We’ve probably been geared up for the signing all day, and may need to rest for a brief moment, grab a snack, or even take a quick bathroom break. So be willing to wait just a few minutes if necessary.
It was exciting for me, and I am so thankful for every person who stopped by — whether they bought a book or not – and so thankful for everyone who prayed about it! You all are a blessing!
P.S. Kindred Grace is giving away a copy right now — head over here to enter.