I hope you’re praising God for all that you plan to enjoy this Thanksgiving — a warm cozy home, a nourishing and satisfying meal, laughter and fellowship, family and friends, break from routines, new memories in the making. I hope you thank Him specifically for all the blessings of everyday comfort and happiness, and all the intangible joys of this life.
In the midst of all that joyful gratitude, take some time to meditate on God alone. Praise Him for who He is at the very core of His being — aside from all the tangible things He has done for you — and exalt Him for His sake alone.
Praise Him because He is GOD, and greater than we can comprehend.
Praise Him because He is KING of Kings and LORD of Lords.
Praise Him because He is the one unchanging Constant in the entire universe.
Psalms speaks so eloquently of who God is yesterday, today, and forever. It proclaims His infinitude and indescribability. It extols His greatness and supremacy over all other beings. It glories in His glory!
Flip through its pages and notice all the attributes of God that are mentioned, over and over again. Observe how frequently it proclaims His unchanging love and mercy, and speaks of His faithfulness that endures to all generations. Note all the commands to praise Him for His greatness.
Here’s just a dozen reasons to give thanks to God:
- God is GREAT: “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and his greatness is unsearchable.” Psalm 145:3
- God is SOVEREIGN: “The heavens are yours; the earth also is yours; the world and all that is in it, you have founded them…. You have a mighty arm; strong is your hand, high your right hand. Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.” Psalm 89:11-14
- God is GLORIOUS: “On the glorious splendor of your majesty, and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. They shall speak of the might of your awesome deeds, and I will declare your greatness.” Psalm 145:5-6
- God is FAITHFUL: “He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.” Psalm 91:4
- God is COMPASSIONATE: “As a father shows compassion to his children, so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him. For he knows our frame; he remembers that we are dust.” Psalm 103:13-14
- God is JUST: “But the Lord sits enthroned forever; he has established his throne for justice, and he judges the world with righteousness; he judges the peoples with uprightness. The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.” Psalm 9:7-9
- God is FORGIVING: “He does not deal with us according to our sins, nor repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us.” Psalm 103:10-12
- God is MERCIFUL: “The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and his mercy is over all that he has made.” Psalm 145:8-9
- God is ENDURING: “My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26
- God is LOVE: “Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens, your faithfulness to the clouds. Your righteousness is like the mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep; man and beast you save, O Lord.” Psalm 36:5-6
- God is GOOD: “For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.” Psalm 100:5
- God is WORTHY OF PRAISE: “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.” Psalm 18:1-3
Let Psalms be your guidebook this Thanksgiving!
Because what better reason do we have to give thanks?